If there is anything we can take away from the pandemic, it’s that we’ve all been washing our hands wrong. Hopefully after we get through this, the normal flu season will never look the same thanks to a new, higher awareness and appreciation for good hygiene!
So perhaps it’s not such a big surprise to find out there are common pitfalls to avoid when it comes to washing our face too, and some important tips for maintaining clear, healthy skin.
Risks of Poor Face Washing
Poor face washing can actually exacerbate skin problems such as acne breakouts, skin inflammation and dry, flaky skin.
Here is a quick rundown of 8 big no-no’s when it comes to washing your face!
Not Washing your Face before Bed. Oils, dirt and sweat can accumulate on your skin throughout the day, and then transfer to your pillow as well. It’s especially important to remove makeup before going bed, to unclog pores and let your skin breathe!
Not Washing your Hands First. Before applying products onto your skin, make sure your hands are free of oils and dirt.
Not Double Cleansing. Not all cleansers remove traces of makeup, oils and residue on the skin, and you might damage your skin by excessively pulling or rubbing, especially around the delicate eye area. Start with an oil cleanse to remove the makeup, followed by a soap-free cleanser that will not strip the skin of its natural oils.
- Only Using a Makeup Wipe. The same applies to only using a makeup removing wipe. Removing makeup is an important first step but it won’t truly clean the skin.
- Washing Too Hot. While hot water feels good on the skin, it may irritate and dry out your skin. Warm water is best as it helps to open the pores and release congested grime and oils. This will help preserve the natural oils in the skin.
- Washing with Soap. Conventional soap can actually strip your face of natural oils, and disrupt the pH level, damaging the moisture barrier. Specialized facial products are designed to do more than just clean, they protect your skin’s pH balance and help your skin heal.
- Reusing Washcloths. A wet washcloth can be the perfect environment for bacteria and mold to thrive. Use a fresh washcloth to ensure you’re taking bad bacteria off your face, not on!
- Exfoliating Too Often. Excessive scrubbing can irritate your skin and cause redness. Gently wash the face daily but exfoliate just once or twice a week to avoid over-drying and stripping the skin of natural oils.
To set yourself up for skincare success, facial cleansers for your skin type should gently wash away dirt, dead skin cells and makeup, and also help treat specific skin conditions.
Tips for Washing Your Face Correctly
- For radiant and healthy-looking skin, after removing your makeup, apply cleanser to the face using gentle circles for approximately 20-30 seconds, then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Pat your face with a fresh cotton facecloth. Avoid rubbing or wiping.
- Optionally, apply a toner, especially for specific skin care concerns, such as acne or very dry skin. Refresh and balance the skin using Timeless’ HA spray with Matrixyl 3000™.
Right after washing and lightly drying your face, apply serums and moisturizer while your skin is still slightly damp. The skin is much more permeable when moist, allowing products to penetrate and absorb more deeply.
Products to Help Strengthen the Moisture Barrier after Face Washing
- Hydrating Eye Cream: The delicate eye area is especially sensitive and more prone to dryness. It is one of the first areas to show signs of aging, with fine wrinkles, so it’s important to keep it well hydrated.
- Matrixyl® Synthe 6®: Using concentrated, active ingredients right after cleansing, like this polypeptide serum, works on the deeper layers of the skin to heal and regenerate.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is a moisturizing agent that is incredibly effective while being very light on the skin. It doesn’t clog up pores and can be applied directly to your skin or mixed in with other serums and moisturizers to strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier.
By strengthening the skin’s moisture barrier, your skin can better protect itself against everyday stressors and maintain a balanced pH level, making face washing an enjoyable and easy routine at the start and end of your day!